Wind Energy Module
The 07-1302 Wind Energy Module program demonstrates how wind turbines are beginning to transform the way the world is powered.
In the Wind Energy module, students learn about one of today's major forms of alternative energy and how technology is used to convert and transmit this energy. They explore wind as an energy source that can be used to help reduce dependence on exhaustible, nonrenewable fuel sources. Students will gain a global perspective when they understand the economics, efficiency, and low environmental impact of producing energy from non-polluting, renewable sources.
The Alternate Energy module includes everything required to function as a "turn-key" learning station; lesson plan, student guide, DVD video, training station with fault insertion and energy producing equipment. The module provides student instruction, in teams of two, for up to 20 hours.
The Lesson Plan includes an Instructor's Guide which provides instructions for installing, setting up, and implementing the module. It also includes learning outcomes, testing and evaluation procedures, answer keys, student skills response, inventory list and print CD.
The Student Activity manual guides students through 10 multi-disciplinary activities using the tools, and equipment included with the module package. It also contains optional enrichment and career exploration activities, daily activity response sheets and activity notes.Computer Monitoring
Progressive Educational systems Green Ed Data Acquisition is computer monitoring system that records the voltages and currents for the wind turbine, battery and inverter. GEM-DA is a versatile, powerful and yet cost effective data logger handling analog, digital and other types of variables with high resolution and speed. It is a high performance and high connectivity equipment and yet easy to configure and operate. An HMI or software makes it easy to view your data.Standard optional senors for wind speed, direction, temperature, humidity are available. Complete with software.Curriculum
Upon the completion of the Wind Energy Student Activity Manual, students should be able to:
- Describe the various alternate energy solutions.
- Understand the hazards associated with the wind energy module.
- Explain the pros and cons of wind energy.
- Describe the basic history of wind alternate energy.
- Explain how a wind turbine works.
- Test wind generator to determine their voltage and current outputs.
- Use digital volt and ammeters to monitor system activities.
- Explain the difference between batteries connected in series, parallel and series-parallel.
- Explain the effects on voltage and current output when the system is loaded.
- Draw a graph showing a wind generators power curves.
- Discuss the effects of circuit loading on wind generators.
- Explain the purpose of a voltage regulator.
- Understand the procedures necessary to properly site a wind turbine.
- Apply math to calculate Power in watts produced by the wind turbine.
- Use a computer interfaced system to monitor the input voltage and current.
- Explain how the energy produced is converted into energy we use.
- Use basic 5 step troubleshooting techniques to solve system faults.
- Describe some of the employment opportunities involving alternate energy.
- Identify various methods of storage devices.
- Explain how a deep cycle battery operates.
- Use the internet to explore the various types of renewable energies.
- Solve a problem based on information accumulated to date.
Note: The Renewable Energy training systems are usually permanently installed. It is recommended that a licensed Renewable Energy Technician install this system.
There are many methods of mounting the wind turbine used in the Progressive Educational Systems wind training systems. These include outside on ground, roof and tripole. Inside mounting is also available. For further information on mounting options please contact your Progressive representative.
- Wind and Solar Energy Module
- Solar Energy Module
- Geothermal Trainer
- Clean Energy Training System
- Hydrogen Solutions
- Bio Diesel Training System
- Small Wind and Solar PV Installation
- Small Wind and Solar PV PRO Installation
- Solar PV Installation
- Small Wind Installation
- Solar Thermal / PV Training System
- Grid Tie / Smart Meter Training System
- Grid Tie Training System
- GEM Wireless Monitoring System